On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 16:13 -0600, Mitch Hayenga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My advisor is teaching our graduate parallel computer architecture class
> this semester and he has a ton of students (40+ I think).  Given so many
> students, he is trying to find additional ideas for those students who
> can't come up with project ideas on their own.  Often we try to make the
> student project results useful beyond the class.  So I was wondering if any
> of the gem5-devs knew of places where they would like to see gem5
> improvement, but the given task is too time consuming given their other
> tasks/objectives.  These tasks should be able to be tied in with the
> learning that should occur in a grad comp arch class.
>
> Here are some I've come up with:
>
> 1) SE TLB latency modeling
> TLBs lookups in SE mode respond immediately.  Modify this behavior to
> properly model lookup latency.  A simple class project could be doing this
> in addition to trying to make/model TLB prefetchers, but the main benefit
> would be SE TLB latency modeling.
>
> 2) Gem5 Classic Coherence
> Modify the coherence protocol in gem5-classic to behave more as you would
> expect a MOESI protocol to.  I've posted myself on this previously (
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-users@gem5.org/msg01021.html).  They could
> also try to extend the protocol.
>
> 3) Extended prefetchers
> Add more complicated/intelligent prefetchers to gem5.
>
> 4) Loop buffer modeling/prediction in O3
>

> Any other places where a minor issue exists, you lack the time to fix it,
> and you think it could make a good parallel computer architecture class
> project?

Something I'd like someone to look into is support for cache flushing
instructions. A nice first step would be to implement it using the code
used for the functional interface (memWriteback & memInvalidate). This
would allow us to remove some hacks used to get Linux booting without
working cache flush instructions. I'm not sure if it is a great class
project though.

//Andreas