Hi,

I am a senior at Colorado State University working with two other students
under Dr. Sudeep Pasricha on a senior design project.  We have created a
GUI to aid in configuring gem5 simulations.

It currently supports a variety of command line options which are supplied
to the se.py and fs.py scripts.  We are beginning to implement some
exploration functionality, so that on any particular parameter, a user
could specify multiple options for which a simulation would run for each.

One of the most important advantages this GUI brings is a reduction to the
learning curve to using gem5, as well as a huge aid in debugging
configuration options.  It has many simple error checks to prevent simple
mistakes.

We would like to contribute this project open-source to the gem5 community,
and wanted to see what your thoughts are on integrating it with gem5.  We
believe there are two different routes we can take:

Option 1 would be to push our code to the gem5 repository.  If this is an
acceptable option, what is a good way to proceed with this?

Option 2 would be to have our code run completely independent of gem5 (the
user would specify as an option where they have downloaded gem5 code, or we
release it as a patch for gem5).  If this were the case, is there a good
way for us to market this to the gem5 community?

What are your thoughts on the above two options?

Thanks,
Marcus Johnson