You could certainly do that.  You are absolutely correct that a Ruby simulation
does not need a trace to run from a checkpoint.

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: gem5-dev [mailto:gem5-dev-boun...@gem5.org] On Behalf Of Timothy M Jones
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:32 AM
To: gem5-dev@gem5.org
Subject: Re: [gem5-dev] Ruby serialize removing event queue head

Hi Brad,

On 17/06/2015 21:38, Beckmann, Brad wrote:
> The benefit for creating at trace, rather than just inserting data into the
> cache, is two-fold.  First, by creating a trace from a very large cache
> system, one can warmup caches of different sizes, associativities and even
> completely different cache hierarchies/configurations from a single trace.
> Second, and probably more important, Ruby protocols rely on timing requests
> to set cache block state to the unique states used by a particular protocol.
> Often Ruby is used to compare different protocols and this process allows us
> to compare protocols using the exact same checkpoint.

Thanks for the explanation.  OK, so I understand why you want to have a trace,
but is there any need for it, or could you just start at a checkpoint with a
totally empty cache (as in the classic model)?
Basically, is this trace simply a way to avoid the need to warm up the caches
after a checkpoint?

At the moment I can create the trace at a checkpoint, which is progress, but I
get problems both in the simulator and simulated system when restoring from the
checkpoint.  I'd like to know whether to invest the time in getting this to
work, or whether I should simply implement
memWriteback() for ruby to flush dirty data before a checkpoint, then do away
with the trace altogether.

Cheers
Tim

--