It's AMD's GPGPU runtime framework: https://rocmdocs.amd.com/en/latest/

>From what I can tell (it's been many years since I've worked deeply with
AMD GPGPUs) the user and kernel APIs change incredibly frequently. So,
rather than trying to keep up with a moving target, the current GCN
(graphics core next, which is actually not "next" anymore but a couple of
generations behind) support in gem5 is tied to a version of ROCm from ~3-5
years ago. This requires Ubuntu 16.04. Kyle did a great job setting up a
docker environment with everything that's needed (
https://gem5.googlesource.com/public/gem5/+/refs/heads/develop/util/dockerfiles/gcn-gpu/Dockerfile).
Annoyingly, since gem5 (currently) only supports SE mode for GPGPUs you
have to use the docker container to build benchmarks, build gem5 *and run*
gem5.

Matt, Brad, Tony, Kyle and others can probably answer any deeper questions.

Cheers,
jason