nathan binkert wrote:
>> I'm not sure any of that fully explains why we have both attributes
>> though.  It is important to remember as in the cache builder example
>> that the 'type' is really something that identifies the function that
>> creates the C++ object and isn't necessarily the type of the resulting
>> object (or even a c++ type at all)... but in those cases there is no
>> single c++ type, so there still isn't any point in having two
>> different attributes.
> We don't need it, it was just an ugly byproduct of the evolution of
> this code.  I needs to be cleaned up for sure.

Just for the record, I looked into changing this code and it was a bit
too much to craziness to deal with without spending a lot of time
figuring out what's going on. I respectfully defer/pass responsibility
to the experts.

>> That's what I meant by "java directory hierarchy method" (since Gabe
>> made that analogy).
> I think it's the best way if we want namespaces.

I remember at some point hearing about, or maybe even dealing with
myself, some issue where the particulars of how filenames work in the OS
making this annoying but I don't remember how specifically. It might
have been a Java thing, or a Gabe doesn't know Java very well thing. I
don't feel too strongly about it so if that's what people want to do
it's fine.

Gabe