If #2 didnt exist, then that would make more sense to me. That would make an
instruction HAVE to use the threadContext interface to access any CPU
facilities. That would also remove the CPU pointer from the instruction
object as well.

If that were the solution, I would be OK with it, because then the CPU would
be appropriately encapsulated away from an instruction's commands...