I'm not sure I all the way understand why the register file shouldnt be
defined in the ISA...

I could see maybe there being one standard integer and floating point
register file thats totally generic however, the system/miscellaneous
registers are pretty ISA dependent so those register probably need to be
defined in some custom manner.

Anyway, I was just about to rearrange everything so that all accesses to
registers use the ThreadContext instead of directly going through the CPU
(for the InOrder model at least). I'll assume that I should hold off on that
for now?