I ran this through valgrind and it looks like in ALPHA_SE there may be some
uninitialized values that weren't affecting the simulation output but
affecting timing somewhat (specifically with the TLB translations).

In the next go round of this, I should be able to track that down and verify
what the correct timing should be. That should settle any "non-determinism"
issues but as for any host-state issues I'm hoping I can knock out two birds
w/one stone here!

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Gabe Black <gbl...@eecs.umich.edu> wrote:

> Those are good questions to answer because they point either to
> non-determinism in the CPU or host state leaking into the simulation.
> Another thing people suggested way back when when I was trying to fix
> something similar was to use netcat with tracediff to compare execution
> across two known different machines. For a long benchmark I'd suggest
> finding something to keep you occupied while it runs, maybe a quick trip
> to Europe for instance, but eventually it might tell you what's going on.
>
> Gabe
>
> Steve Reinhardt wrote:
> > Actually they are run weekly, not monthly, though if something goes
> > wrong with a run you can miss a week or two.
> >
> > And yes, if it's not giving consistent results on your machine vs.
> > zizzer then that's a problem.  Is it consistent on each machine?
> > (I.e., your machine is consistent, and zizzer is consistent, but
> > they're different?)
> >
> > If zizzer seems slow, do a 'top' and see what's running... unless
> > you're trying to use it while it's running a regression, it should be
> > very fast.
> >
> > Steve

> >> I didnt notice that the test was failing for awhile since the tests only
> run
> >> once-a-month on the weekend, and as Gabe noted, whether something fails
> or
> >> not gets lost in the avalanche of messages there.
> >>
> >> So yea, they've been hitting for the past month, but I realized that
> they
> >> were off only recently (thanks to Gabe/Steve's emails).
> >>
> >> I've kind of desensitized myself to the Cron messages so it's just my
> fault
> >> for not taking more notice when the inorder stuff fails. The actual
> problem
> >> (at least for twolf) was pretty simple (a 2 line fix).
> >>
> >> --
> >> - Korey

- Korey