Hey Gabe,
  Comments are in-lined below.  If you'd like me to resubmit another review
of all or part, just let me know.
  Thanks,
  Joel

> util/m5/Makefile.x86
> <http://reviews.m5sim.org/r/64/#comment248>
>
>    Why is this necessary? Is this so it runs under SE mode? In that case I
> think we should make it run like before as the default since 99% of the time
> this will run in FS, and provide a way to inject -static for the 1% of the
> time it runs in SE.
>
>    Compiling it as static all the time wouldn't be the end of the world,
> but it seems like we'd be making universal changes for a very uncommon case.

Building the m5 binary without -static allows it to dynamically link a few
libraries:
  j...@capillary:~/research/m5-new/util/m5$ ldd m5
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff3f9ff000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007fb05131f000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fb05168f000)
When I was putting together a disk image using busybox, it had issues with
library versions.  In general, since the m5 utility isn't performance
critical and just implements simulator magic, I think it would be easiest if
it was always built statically whether for FS or SE.  On the other, I would
imagine that it's built very infrequently and only for initial disk image
creation, so perhaps its not worth changing.

> util/m5/m5ops.h
> <http://reviews.m5sim.org/r/64/#comment249>
>
>    It looks like Ali commandeered that value on line 61. It might have been
> better to use 0x5A for that, but it also might not be safe to change it now
> since there may be binaries out there that use it (probably not too many).
> It would be a little strange, but you could actually use 0x5A for
> reserved1_func. I don't know what restrictions there are in the various ISAs
> for function numbers, but in x86 it's a 16 bit value.

Ah, I didn't see that originally!
The only real trouble right now is that if you try to build the m5 utility
for x86_64 with the current version in the repo, it will fail with an
undefined reference to reserved1_func:
  gcc -O2  -o m5op_x86.o -c m5op_x86.S
  gcc -o m5 m5.o m5op_x86.o
  m5op_x86.o: In function `m5_reserved1_func':
  (.text+0x5c): undefined reference to `reserved1_func'
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  make: *** [m5] Error 1
It looks like neither m5op_alpha.S or m5op_sparc.S use reserved1_func, so
another solution would be to remove it from m5op_x86.S (eliminate it
completely from the m5 utility codebase).

--
  Joel Hestness
  PhD Student, Computer Architecture