Can you give me an example of a protocol where getCacheEntry() behaves in a different manner?

--
Nilay

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Beckmann, Brad wrote:

Hi Nilay,

Lisa Hsu (another member of the lab here at AMD) and I were discussing these changes a bit more and there was one particular idea that came out of our conversation that I wanted to relay to you. Basically, we were thinking about how these changes will impact the flexibility of SLICC and we concluded that it is important to allow one to craft custom getCacheEntry functions for each protocol. I know initially I was hoping to generate these functions, but I now don???t think that is possible without restricting what protocols can be support by SLICC. Instead we can use these customized getCacheEntry functions to pass the cache entry to the actions via the trigger function. For those controllers that manage multiple cache memories, it is up to the programmer to understand what the cache entry pointer points to. That should eliminate the need to have multiple *cacheMemory_entry variables in the .sm files. Instead there is just the cache_entry variable that is set either by the trigger function call or set_cache_entry.

Does that make sense to you?

Brad