I think there are different topology file for different layouts and thus allowing different number of controllers. For example, topology named "MeshDirCorners" would allow a configuration with "--num-cpus 16 --num-l2caches 16 --num-dirs 4 ". This essentially places the MCs (a.k.a dirs) at the corner of the chip.

Similarly, if disproportionate number of L2 controllers are need then MeshClustered or MeshClusteredDirCorners topologies need to be used.

Thanks
Arka