I found the error in MESI CMP. In the L2 cache controller, when the TBE is deallocated, the pointer was not being set to NULL.

--
Nilay

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Arkaprava Basu wrote:

Nilay,

If the same test completes with larger threshold then it certainly a case of false positive and certainly NOT a deadlock (but may be a case of starvation). If it were actually a deadlock, it would have just reported deadlock after some more time of simulation.

On extending stall and wait to other protocols, you are absolutely correct. Many of the starvation issues (and thus perceived deadlock) show up due to "unfairness" in handling coherence request. After the protocol trace segmentation issue is solved, I can get MESI_CMP_directory to use stall and wait.

I fully agree with Brad's argument about bumping up threshold for testers. And having large threshold (i.e. 5 M) does not hurt much. It will take bit more time of simulation to report the deadlock, but if there is an actual deadlock it would anyway report it. So I would vote to stick with Brad's threshold number in the patch.

Thanks
Arka