This sounds right.  Ruby does need to forward invalidations to the CPU since
some models (including O3) will need to do internal invalidations/flushes to
maintain consistency.  Others can choose to do it other ways (e.g., by
querying the L1 at commit as you suggest), but they have the option of
ignoring the forwarded invalidations, so that's not a problem.

Steve