We've had multiple discussions on this (search the list archives for
m5-stable and you should find them).  We had some debate about how
frequently m5-stable should be updated, and how long we want a
changeset to mature in m5 before we consider promoting it to
m5-stable, but I think we found some values everyone was content with
last time... something like every 6 months we'll update m5-stable to
the last working revision more than 1 month old, or something like
that.  (Or maybe it was 3/1, or 6/2, I forgot.)  But as Ali says, the
catch in automating this process is identifying the "last working
revision"... we could use the regression tests to help narrow that
down, but there are a lot of bugs that get pushed that aren't caught
by the regression tester, so I wouldn't want to rely solely on that.
If we had a better bug-tracking system so we could record facts like
"changeset Y fixes a bug introduced in changeset X" then we could
automatically exclude changesets between X and Y, but we don't have
that.

Steve