The sleep is delaying the simulator, NOT the simulation,
If you want the simulated workload to take longer you have to figure out how to
stall the cpu.
Playing with cache latencies should do the trick.
De: gem5-users-boun...@gem5.org [gem5-users-boun...@gem5.org] en nombre de
Mahmood Naderan [mahmood...@gmail.com]
Enviado: sábado, 05 de abril de 2014 19:48
Para: Sanem Arslan
CC: gem5 users mailing list
Asunto: Re: [gem5-users] gem5 cache latency, impact on performance

That is a normal thing. sim_second is a workload related parameter
while simulation execution on the host is related to your host, e.g
wall time.

Assume you are simulating single core at 2GHz frequency. As a result
simulating 1 second of your workload takes 2*10^9 cycles. If you write
a good code in gem5, it may takes 10 hours to complete and if you
write a bad code by putting sleep() it takes 20 hours to complete.

>>> (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.m5.users/15517/focus=15526)
>>> that
>>> claims there is no significant impact of increasing latency because of
>>> optimizations implemented in the cache protocol in Classic Memory.
>>>
>>> Moreover I have changed "blk->whenReady" parameter aggresively and I
>>> have put some sleep() functions somewhere in cache structures again,
>>> but there is no effect on the execution time.
>>>
>>> How can I observe the performance overhead of my added codes? If you
>>> have any suggestions, please let me know.
>>>
>>> By the way, I am using gem5.opt and X86 with full system mode.
>>>
>>> Thanks for you time and help.
>>>
>>> Sanem.
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,