The problem is that your system doesn't think it can run /bin/bash. In the
case of ARM, it's because the binary in the image is for ARM, but the host
computer is x86. In that case, you need qemu so that your x86 computer can
run the ARM /bin/bash from the image. In your case, I'm assuming your host
is x86, so it should be able to run a /bin/bash from an x86 disk image with
no problem.

If, however, it can't run /bin/bash for some other reason, like if the
binary doesn't exist, your user doesn't have permission to run it for some
reason, etc., then it could fail with a similar error message.

Gabe