Hello, and welcome to the gem5 mailing list :).

I suggest, at least as a first pass, using the classic caches, not Ruby.
You can check out the Learning gem5 book (learning.gem5.org) to see
examples of how to create different kinds of systems that don't necessarily
match what's in se.py. The classic caches have an option to be "mostly
inclusive" and "mostly exclusive" which might do what you need.

I don't know if anyone has tried to have separate L2 instruction and data
caches. However, this might "just work" with the classic caches assuming
you have separate instruction and data busses (this should be possible). I
suggest drawing the system you want to simulate on paper, then trying to
create the configuration in gem5.

If you want to investigate modifying the cache coherence protocol, or your
investigation depends on high-fidelity modeling of the on chip network,
then you should use Ruby. In this case, you'll probably have to write a new
coherence protocol. You might be able to use other coherence protocols
(e.g., MESI_Two_Level) as a starting point, or you might have to develop a
new one from scratch (See Part 3 of Learning gem5 for details).

Cheers,
Jason