Hi Vijay,

Thanks for your review!

Whether the document should say "SHOULD NOT", "MUST NOT", or possibly
something else (such as "MAY") was discussed extensively in TLS WG
(in fact, this was the *only* part of the document that was discussed),
and the WG settled for "SHOULD NOT".

I'm not going to summarize the whole discussion (if you're interested,
see TLS WG mailing list, Nov 2007..Feb 2008 and May..June 2008), but
existing implementations were certainly one consideration. Another reason
was that RFC 2119 recommends using "MUST" sparingly. Especially for IDEA,
it was thought that totally prohibiting its use would require much stronger
reasons than "it hasn't been widely used in TLS" (unlike for single-DES,
there are currently no known practical attacks against IDEA, and it
is actually used in real world with some other protocols than TLS).

Best regards,
Pasi