From: francis.dup...@fdupont.fr [mailto:francis.dup...@fdupont.fr]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 8:56 AM
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: draft-moriarty-pkcs12v1-1....@tools.ietf.org
Subject: review of draft-moriarty-pkcs12v1-1-03.txt

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART,
please see the FAQ at

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you may
receive.

Document: draft-moriarty-pkcs12v1-1-03.txt
Reviewer: Francis Dupont
Review Date: 20130104
IETF LC End Date: 20130110
IESG Telechat date: unknown

Major issues: None

Minor issues: (not really technical)
PKCS#12 was subject to concerns from teh cryptography community, in particular
from Peter Gutmann, based on:
 - its (too) high complexity (BTW IMHO it is a legitimate concern:
 complexity is not wellcome for a security device)
 - (related to the previous item) its possible misuse with private  key,
summarized by this famous warning in OpenSSL FAQ:
"Occasionally someone suggests using a command such as:

openssl pkcs12 -export -out cacert.p12 -in cacert.pem -inkey cakey.pem

DO NOT DO THIS! This command will give away your CAs private key and reduces
its security to zero: allowing anyone to forge certificates in whatever name
they choose."

Unfortunately I can't see how we can address these concerns in the document.
Perhaps with a stronger security considerations section?

Nits/editorial comments:
 - TOC page 3 and F page 29: Acknowledgements -> Acknowledgments

 - 1 page 4 in:
      The most secure of the privacy
   and integrity modes require the source and destination platforms to
   have trusted public/private key pairs usable for digital signatures
   and encryption, respectively.

  respectively suggests the same order but the private key is used to
  sign and the public key to encrypt. I propose to swap keys, i.e.,
  to use "private/public" key pairs.

 - 5.1 5 B page 16: i.e. -> i.e.,

 - a full example should have been wellcome but IMHO it is far too late
  (and there are a lot of tools able to produce examples if needed :-).

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr