Thanks Jari

The choice is very much based on the intended characteristics of ad hoc
networks. In particular the property that you can add new participants to a
network without letting anyone already in the network know you are doing this
until they turn up in your neighbourhood discovery, and then only knowing their
identities (e.g. IP address). And that there can be no online authority to
consult about anything.

Of course you can achieve the above with a single shared secret key. But that's
a lose one device (and we will not be surprised to do that) lose everything
scenario.

We're not proposing it for universal use.

Christopher

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Information Assurance Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace Centre,
Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687