From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) [mailto:rdr...@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:29 AM
To: Shah, Himanshu
Cc: A. Jean Mahoney; General Area Review Team;
draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-mac-wd....@ietf.org; The IESG
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-mac-wd

(originally sent 10/16; second try)

Hi, Himanshu - responses in line...

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 7:44 PM 10/15/15, Shah, Himanshu <hs...@ciena.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ralph -
> Thanks for your thorough review.
>
> Let me first address your major concern.
>
> As you point out, this draft builds on existing standards.
> We (authors and WG) had to carefully balance between the right amount
> of information and wanting to describe details of methods described in other
> RFCs.
>
> This is frustrating to implementer (including myself) having to go
> back and forth between the documents. So I share that concern.
>
> But we would like to refrain from indulging in beefing up the doc and
> risk deviating from other base standards. However, for certain, if
> there is any conflict or lack of clarity, we would prefer to rectify.

I agree that, in general, duplicating specifications from other documents
increases the possibility that the respective documents unintentionally
conflict with each other or are not updated in parallel.

> To that end, I would rather prefer, trimming by removing
> conflicting/confusing text.

I wasn't clear in my review - I think making the references to other documents
concise and clear, along with trimming unnecessary text from
draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-mac-wd, will result in the best document.

> For example, sequence number processing - I rather would ask reader to
> get all details from relevant RFC, and point to only delta (which is
> to apply same logic that is used for 16-bit sequence number field to
> 32-bit field sequence number field that is used in this document).

This example is sort of an interesting one to consider, as I was thinking more
of the examples in which the format and semantics of the MAC TLVs are exactly
the same as in the cited defining documents.

> More comments in line.. and I look forward to your further guidance so
> we can wrap this up in time.
>
> As a data point, there are two implementations of this draft deployed
> in a Telco network in Asia.

Noted.

> Thanks,
> Himanshu

Again, I wasn't clear in my review - my paging back and forth was both within
draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-mac-wd and between draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-mac-wd and
cited documents.  What I think would improve this specification is
clarification that trims redundant specification details from
draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-mac-wd and cites, concisely and exactly, the other
documents from which the specifications are copied.

> Section 1:
>
> When the number of MAC addresses to be removed is large, the empty MAC
> List TLV may be used.  The empty MAC List TLV signifies wildcard MAC
> Address withdrawl.
>
> This text seems to be the only reference to the processing of an empty MAC
> List TLV. Specification of how the protocol works doesn't belong in the
> Introduction, and "wildcard MAC Address withdrawal" could certainly use some
> more explanation.
>
> [Himanshu>] I would prefer taking the text out if its mention in
> "Introduction" section is not desirable.
> Wildcard MAC withdraw is a very well-known concept in VPLS architecture and
> needs no more description to L2VPNers, IMO.
> So absence of its reference in subsequent sections does not dilute the
> purpose of this document.

It wasn't obvious to me what is intended as a protocol specification and what
is intended as a description of the protocol.  I see that RFC 4762 includes
text that describes how to process an empty MAC List TLV, so perhaps removal of
the text altogether would be best.

> Section 3:
>
> The PW OAM message header is exactly the same as what is defined in
> [RFC6478].
>
> Is this statement really true?  The MAC Address Withdraw header seems to
> replace the "Refresh Timer" field with a "Reserved" field, and adds a new "R"
> flag.  The statement might be misleading to an implementor.
>
> [Himanshu>] I agree with you. This is statement is used loosely.
> The PW OAM message header is meant to apply only to first 4 bytes.
>
> Perhaps -
> "The MAC withdraw PW OAM message follows the same guidelines used in
> [RFC6478], whereby first 4-bytes of OAM message header is followed by
> message specific field and a set of TLVs relevant for the message"
>

> a MAC address withdraw OAM message MUST contain a "Sequence Number
> TLV" otherwise the entire message is dropped.
>
> Is the "Sequence Number TLV" required to be the first TLV in the message?
> Are the TLVs required to appear in any particular order?
>
> [Himanshu>] Yes. It is important to determine the "newness" of the
> message first for processing eligibility and should not require hunting
> through entire message to find that TLV. My hope is that this is obvious to
> the reader who 'follows' the concepts in the draft.
>
> If you feel, that such an explicit mention is necessary, I do not mind.

I think it would be helpful to state explicitly that the Sequence Number TLV
MUST be the first TLV in the message.

> A single bit (called A-bit) is set to indicate if a MAC withdraw
> message is for ACK.  Also, ACK does not include MAC TLV(s).
>
> Does this mean that the message is an ACK if the A-bit is set?  Can an ACK
> contain a "Sequence Number" TLV?
>
> [Himanshu>] I do not quite follow. ACK HAS TO INCLUDE THE SEQ NO TLV,
> how else receiver know what is ACK of what seq# message is of? I think
> this falls into commonsense category BUT, the text explicitly says that ONLY
> MAC TLVs are not required.

I apologize if I appear to be finicky, again, but the sentence I quoted simply
wasn't clear to me.  Common sense interpretation of specifications is, of
course, expected, but in my experience a simple sentence like:

A MAC Address Withdraw OAM message with the A-bit set is sent by a receiver to
acknowledge receipt and processing of a MAC Address Withdraw OAM message