On 1/26/17 3:48 PM, Mike Jones wrote:
The designated experts are subscribed to the review mailing list.  Either IANA
or individuals can send (or forward) requests to it.  There have been cases
where IANA has directly received requests, which they have forwarded to the
list for review, thereby also reaching the designated experts.  It works fine
in practice and achieves the goals of RFC 5226, even if all the steps are not
literally always done in the same order.

The IESG has already approved this kind of procedure for .well-known URI
registrations (using the wellknown-uri-rev...@ietf.org list, per RFC 5785), for
OAuth registrations (using the oauth-ext-rev...@ietf.org list, per RFC 6749 and
RFC 7591), for JOSE registrations (using the jose-reg-rev...@ietf.org list, per
RFC 7515, RFC 7517, and RFC 7518) and for JWT registrations (using the
jwt-reg-rev...@ietf.org list, per RFC 7519 and RFC 7800).  Given all this
working existing practice, I don't see a sound reason for the IESG to reject
using this same procedure for an additional kind of JWT registration.

In that case the proper thing to do would be to revise RFC5226 to acknowledge this approach. But in the end, if IANA and the IESG are OK with this then so be it.

Please don't get me wrong - I do appreciate your detailed scrutiny of the spec
bringing this up.  I think we agree that consistency matters.

Thanks. IIUC that is the role of Gen-Art reviews.

        Thanks,
        Paul

                                -- Mike