Hi,

>I will make all of the changes that you suggest, and have offered details
>(indented) below.  Note that while I'm willing to make the change you have
>discussed in Q3, I don't >actually understand what you would like us to do.
>
>More below...

INTRODUCTION:

>> Q1:        In the first sentence of the Introduction, I suggest to say:
>>
>> “The failover protocol defined in this document provides…”
>>
>> Otherwise it’s a little unclear what failover protocol you are talking about.
>
>       Sure, good idea.  See Q2, immediately below.
>
>> Q2:        In the Introduction, before the first sentence, shouldn’t there
>> be some background text, including some information
>>about the problem that the document solves. I know there is something in the
>>Abstract, but I think there should also be something
>>in the Introduction, before jumping into the solution.
>
>       I've been chastised for repeating the abstract in the
>       introduction, so I was trying to not do that.  How about we
>       start the introduction with:
>
>       "The DHCPv6 protocol [RFC3315] does not provide for server
>       redundancy.  The failover protocol defined in this document
>       provides a means for cooperating DHCP servers to work together
>       to provide a DHCP service with availability that is increased
>       beyond that which could be provided by a single DHCP server
>       operating alone. ..."

Looks very good.

I know some people don't want to repeat Abstract text in the Introduction, but
I still think the Introduction should provide an introduction to the problem :)

>       Note that the last sentence of the Introduction already points
>       to the DHCPv6 failover requirements RFC, which has a lot more
>       to say about this.
>
>> Q3:        In the Introduction, I suggest adding a reference to the first
>> occurrences of “DHCP service” and “DHCP server”.
>
>       While I'm more than happy to do this, I don't actually know
>       what you would like me to reference?  We haven't defined
>       either "DHCP service" or "DHCP server" in the glossary since
>       we felt they were reasonably apparent from the context of this
>       document.  Are you thinking that we should reference RFC3315
>       on the first occurrence of "DHCP service" and "DHCP server"?

Yes.

>> Q4:        In the Introduction, you switch between “This protocol” and “The
>> failover protocol”. Please use consistent terminology. This applies to the
>> document in general.
>
>       Ok, we'll go with "The failover protocol" since it appears
>       more times so far.  I will make this global change when I
>       next update the document.

Sounds good.

>> SECTION 4:
>>
>> Q5:        In the Abstract and Introduction it is said that DHCPv6 does not
>> provide server redundancy. Then section 4 talks about failover concepts and
>> mechanism.
>>
>> Are those concepts something used for DHCPv6 today, but for some reason do
>> not fulfil the failover protocol requirements?
>>
>> OR, are these general concepts that will be supported by implementing the
>> failover protocol?
>>
>> I think it would be good to have an introduction statement clarifying that.
>
>       The concepts and mechanisms discussed in Section 4 relate to
>       the failover protocol, they aren't present in the regular
>       RFC3315(et. al.) DHCPv6 protocol.  I will add the following to
>       Section 4 to clarify that:
>
>       "4.  Failover Concepts and Mechanisms
>
>       The following concepts and mechanisms are necessary to the operation
>       of the failover protocol, and they are not currently employed by
>       the DHCPv6 protocol [RFC3315].

That's better. But, will the failover protocol provide support for those
concepts? If so, please indicate it.

Thanks!

Regards,

Christer