> On Jul 28, 2017, at 7:33 PM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzi...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> On 7/28/17 7:23 PM, Christer Holmberg wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>> Regarding the reference to RFC 4572, the new text in section 10.2.1
>> references RFC 4572. We earlier agreed we were not going to update that
>> text, and keep an informative reference to RFC 4572.
>
> OK, I guess I remember that now. Is it considered acceptable to issue a new
> document with a reference to an obsolete document when it isn't to highlight
> a difference from the current document?
>
> Since this is a review for the teleconference, I'll just leave that for the
> IESG folk to decide.

As far as I know, there’s no hard and fast rule about this. It really depends
on whether the difference between the new and obsolete dependencies are
material to the draft. I do think we (i.e. the IESG) would favor referencing
the new RFC, but would be open to arguments about why a WG chose to reference
the obsolete version

Does anyone recall the reasoning in this instance?

Thanks!

Ben.