Comments like that don't make me run out of commons, but they do get an eye
roll from me at the very least. I don't see why that kind of comment is
necessary.

The images or comments are not what keep me from participating in commons,
it's not having a clear sense of whether or not comments like that are the
norm on commons or considered acceptable, as well as not knowing the best
way to respond. I spend most of my time on a smaller wiki, where I have a
better sense of what the rules are and who to contact within that community
for advice on how to handle that kind of thing. Since I don't have as good a
sense of the issues on Commons, I usually don't comment.

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Béria Lima <beria.l...@wikimedia.pt> wrote:

> Sarah
>
> Speak for yourself. I'm also a woman and i don't see that "you're not
> welcome" in his comment, and also can't see why that particular comment
> would in some way made girls run out commons.
> _____
> *Béria Lima*
> Wikimedia Portugal <http://wikimedia.pt>
> (351) 963 953 042
>
> *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que
> estamos a fazer.*
>

> 2011/5/23 Sarah <slimvir...@gmail.com>
>
>> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 16:32, Bob Sponge
>> <metzgerhandwerk.hat.tradit...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > dear sarah
>> >
>> > i want to give you a small feedback about your entries here about a
>> > comment i did. (i found this list with a notice on my userpage in the
>> > german wikipedia)
>> >
>> > "Pro i like her big tits :-) Bunnyfrosch (Diskussion) 22:59, 2 January
>> > 2011 (UTC)"
>> >
>> > there were 2 contra votes before, one argued not educational and
>> > questioned: "Why manga woman rhymes with big tits?" the other replies
>> > the "not educational" accusation. both arguments are bullshit in my
>> > opinion. because all is educational or nothing, but i am to obliging
>> > to told a another users his/her meaning is bullshit. for example if i
>> > want to know how a piece of shit looks like, a picture of a piece of
>> > shit ist educational, and if i want to know something about the
>> > frontieres of texas, a picture of a map coult very
>> > helpfully/educational. if people naming something not educational,
>> > they want to say somthing diffrent. ( note this is my personal pov!)
>> > but they vote this way, but really really often simply mean: "i hate
>> > this pic" or "i hate this user" or "i hate every kind of nudity in the
>> > commons"
>> >
>> > in german i often give persons a longer feedback, in english i spare
>> > the longer feedback. (you can read why^^) so i choose a short pro
>> > vote, applying to the first contra. and by the way, i am not addicted
>> > to big or small boobs - i couldn't care less!
>> > if i had choose a longer explanation for my vote, it would like:
>> > "wikipedia needs well draught anime pictures, with common licences,
>> > this one is a great animation of a girl or transsexual in a beautyfull
>> > landscape".  so, thats the reason i vote with pro.
>> >
>> > but there was no need for a argumentaion, when the contra-side argues
>> > with "not educational"
>> >
>> > i hope this will help you, to understand my diction in the comment.
>> >
>> > best regards
>> > le frog du rabbit
>> >
>> Bob, thanks for your explanation. It's appreciated.
>>
>> The thing is this: some of us would like to attract more women editors
>> to Wikipedia, so that women have more of a voice, and perhaps also to
>> change the culture of Wikipedia a little.
>>
>> It's arguably not in a woman's interests to hang around on a talk page
> [...]

"Only the shallow know themselves." - Oscar Wilde