On 22 June 2011 17:50, Charlotte J <ravin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This has probably been far too long already for a number of folks on the
> list, so I'll conclude for now and share my thoughts on hosting pornography
> on Wikipedia; recruiting Girl Scouts as editors; another potential
> consideration not yet raised as to why the WMF should be concerned, I
> suspect, about the relative dearth of female editors; bare-breastedness in
> depictions of "Liberty"; etc., in another email or two, after I've had a
> chance to look over again a few archived emails that it may help to quote or
> refer to specifically.
>
> I'm using a middle name to post here given that the list is open-archived on
> the internet, that my recent unpleasant experiences on Wikipedia included
> what I've concluded was harassment, and that I see no good reason to risk
> subjecting my family to any such potential consequences due to my
> participation on this list, however brief, so I will sign off for now just
> as,
>
> Charlotte

Charlotte, thank you for writing this, and welcome to the list.

I don't want you to stop editing Wikipedia. I have spent a lot of time
immersed in Wikipedia culture, and for what its worth I can tell you
that your e-mail exemplifies the best of Wikipedia culture. I don't
know anything about your work as an editor, but this mail is
thoughtful and articulate and beautifully-written, and it's obvious
from it that you've got a good understanding of Wikipedia's policies.
I bet you are a terrific Wikipedian, and I bet you're contributing
information that would otherwise not get written about.

I am so sorry you had a bad experience with the Recent Changes
Patroller. But you should stay! Obviously it's your decision, and
obviously when Wikipedia loses people by treating them badly, that's
our fault and our problem to solve. So I am not trying to imply that
you have any kind of obligation: clearly you don't. But seriously: you
can make (and presumably have been making) an enormous, important
contribution here. You have no obligation or responsibility to keep
editing, but I really, really wish you would.

Thanks,
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!