Hi, Andreas,

On 6/22/11, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Charlotte,
> I managed to find the dispute and had a look at it. The editor concerned
> definitely was being a bit of a prat in my view, and should have discussed
> the matter with you before going on a reverting spree.
> I would not have inserted the "sic" in that one quote, but otherwise you
> were quite correct, and they were wrong, and moreover dealt with it poorly.
> Hope that helps.
> I think what we see here once more is the off-putting effect of templating
> good-faith contributors.
> Andreas

I'm impressed with your skills as a detective (!) and, yes, in
retrospect inserting [sic] in that quote was counter-productive,
although I'd done that due to long-time editorial habit.

Yes, too, his use of the Huggle template had alarmed me unnecessarily
because after I'd clicked through the link and discovered it was a
vandalism tool, and also discovered that he'd applied it to a dozen of
my edits in a matter of minutes, I got the impression I was unjustly
racking up demerits without being given an opportunity to explain that
I was anything but a vandal.....but you've seen all that, so no need
to go over it again.

I appreciate the encouraging assessment, but my experiences with the
other editors on the two article talk pages that I described to Sue
were in some ways even more off-putting because in their cases it was
so impersonal ("We SCORN your miserable little crumb, even if it's
correct!").

I then made the mistake of clicking through a notice of a pending
Article for Deletion discussion (first time ever) of an article whose
subject is within my field of expertise: it was like reading through a
dark parody of deliberative debate. I posted to that one and nothing
bad happened to me (I was completely ignored, I think, except in the
totaling of votes), then followed a second one initiated by the same
nominator concerning another article in the same field and although
nothing bad was said to me there either, I was utterly aghast at the
kinds of things that other editors were saying to and about each
other, which was the point at which I finally decided to stop editing.

Thank you, as well, for the kind welcome.

Best,

Charlotte