I'm pretty sure it was at least the year before, though I could be
wrong.  I don't agree that arbcom is irrelevant to WP editors
generally speaking.  Arbcom has a significant effect on culture, which
effects everyone, and additionally, many eligible voters who likely
don't realize they are eligible are both significant contributors of
content - direct or indirect - like a lot of GLAM and EDU folks, are
likely to spend enough to time to evaluate and vote for the candidates
that best support their values and interests.

As a minor example, Brian Carver (who meets the eligibility
requirements, though he only has 300 edits under his own account,
since he normally edits anonymously) has taught grad students using
Wikipedia longer than I've edited Wikipedia, and is the reason why a
huge number of cyberlaw articles exist at all, let alone are generally
well-sourced and pretty comprehensive (the list of articles his
userpage lists is significantly less than complete - not every student
adds theirs.) I don't know if he votes or not (I've never asked him,)
but I know he has an interest in the climate of ENWP as a whole, and
certainly a significant investment in the education program (which at
times, especially before the WEF, was likely headed to a nasty arb
case.)  I'm also pretty positive he'd spend the time necessary to be
an informed voter - and he is far from the only such person.  (He's
prominent and public enough that I feel comfortable naming him without
asking first, but I can think of plenty of other examples of similar
situations.)

It is generally accepted to be best practice by pretty much any group
that holds elections to inform eligible voters that they are eligible
to vote,

Best,
Kevin Gorman