I'm going to bring this thread back to its original topic.  I did some
talking and some digging tonight, and it seems to be time to pull up a few
relevant links.  It's pretty obvious that Community Advocacy is working on
harassment issues, including gender-based harassment; I understand a blog
post is imminent, as is a serious effort at gathering data from the
community.  In the interim:

Reminder of commitment and work that is underway with Community Advocacy -
I  have been assured that it has continued despite Philippe's having left
the WMF:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Community_discussion_on_harassment_reporting#Endorsements

Some of the research they have gathered and reviewed - and maybe some of
this will be useful for communities directly as well:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Online_harassment_resource_guide

And more research and citations:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Advocacy/Citations_on_Harassment_and_Behavioral_Issues

There's this belief that either the WMF or Arbcom can control the behaviour
of people on every one of Wikipedia's 20 million pages. It isn't gonna
happen no matter what.

Risker/Anne