looking at Falcon retirement [1], which has a Git repo:
- current Gitbox repo is attic-falcon.git [2]
- but GitHub (where everybody is looking at) is still falcon.git [3]

And on GitHub, a clear sign of retirement for users exists, that has not been
activated on this falcon.git: that is **archived** repositories, like [4]

IMHO:
1. Renaming Gitbox repo (and only Gitbox) should not happen
2. Marking GitHub repository as archived should be done
for past and future Attic moved projects Git repositories

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://attic.apache.org/projects/falcon.html

[2] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/attic-falcon.git