I had similar experiences with 8.1.  Had most everything (including winmodem
and prisim visor USB) working fine on my laptop.  With 8.1, my USB has never
worked correctly, took forever to find the correct support for the winmodem
and my sound is still a bit flaky even though I use the same specs from 8.0.
In all, I sent my comments to Mandrake like a good user.

I prefer the RH distros but the Mandrake installed easier and nicer than RH.
Always had issues with the GUI loading correctly with RH and would hang the
machine.

anyway, that's just my 2 bits.

kw
--
Kris A. Wotipka, WOTIPKA! inc.
337.739.5180 human__337.893.1289 fax__KD5QYV amateur radio