On Thursday June 9 2005 09:58, Andrew Baudouin spake:
> On the subject of Microsoft's new CLI, Monad:
>
> Why should you be worried? Were Microsoft to develop the best CLI ever
> conceived, it wouldn't take bash, tcsh or zsh or whatever is your
> shell of choice
>
> Flash-forward to now, as one of the other areas in which Linux scores
> over Windows (a UNIX command-line is an awesome and enjoyable tool to
> use; the Windows command line, by contrast, is a rubber hammer with
> nails in the handle :)) may well be snatched away, and we see the same
> thing: people are hoping against hope that Microsoft foul it up,
> because if they don't another area of Linux superiority disappears,
> along with another shred of their self-esteem.

Yes, bash and other shells are important, and highly useful. However, you're
forgetting UNIX pipes, or the ability to string commands together. A cool
shell language without pipes may be flashy, but not enough to steal our
thunder.

Anyway, if you install cygwin or Redmond's own SFU, you get a limited
implementation of bash and pipes --- the underlying operating system and
fundamental way of doing things is still anchored in GUI.

Lastly, pipes are argueably the only thing UNIX actually got right (re: the
unix-haters handbook). I cannot conceive of Microsoft improving on pipes.
This is all marketing --- "we never much cared for the UNIX way, but we're
gonna invent something that'll blow it way, you just watch". Yeah, right.

--

Joey Kelly
http://joeykelly.net

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL