> I'm glad to see that MS will FINALLY build a real command shell into
> some future version of the OS. It's really sad that it's going to take
> 3-5 years, though. I spend my time about half and half between
> administering Windows servers and Linux servers, and I do a lot of
> automation tasks on both platforms. The lack of a clean, integrated,
> documented Windows shell definitely slows down what would be quick and
> simple tasks on a Linux system.

To seriously shift gears here, merlyn (Randall Schwartz, of O'Reilly Perl
books fame) wrote a column once about being quite surprised to find that his
*nix admin Perl scripts ran with few modifications on a windows box he found
himself having to work on. From what I understand, each Perl port takes the
target OS quirks into account, which is where the compatibility niceness
comes in.

Perl might be an answer for you, though I can't speak from experience, as I'm
still trying to wean myself away from PHP.

--

Joey Kelly
http://joeykelly.net

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL