IMHO if someone wants their documents to be readable, it is their
responsibility to make it in the format that is readable in all platforms.
For instance at the school, if a mac user can not create/send a document
to their teacher using a windows, in a format which is recognized as a
document (for instance with an extension) they will fail or get points
reduced for possibly being late. Most teachers are also in a group of
"dummy end users".

There are already enough "universally readable" document formats to use....

Petri