I can not agree with the statement "digital OTA tuners are beyond
useless"....
I've observed the high quality of the image using under $100 USB tuner.
Monitor resolution was 1990x1200 which is higher than HD resolution. No
digital artifacts observed. (I was quite surprised myself.....)

The catch here is the broadcast quality !

With same hardware, you will see incredible difference between read HD
broadcast, and the relayed syndication broadcast. I think in New Orleans
area, there is only one real HD broadcast (WYES) All the others are
broadcasting quite crappy signal which used receiver naturally can not
make it any better.

Also, in case of system CPU decoding, the processor speed and amount of
memory. Makes a big difference indeed if CPU is not fast enough for
decoding. (With intel Core 2 duo @ 1.86Ghz, the CPU utilization was ~23%)

Petri