> Few years ago when I was looking into getting a laptop, I could not get a
> preloaded linux one
> from any "major" manufacturer. The situation is a little bit better now. BTW
> the same issue applies to Apple.

A few years ago is a whole different story.  I don't use linux as my primary
desktop OS but on the last several systems I've ordered OEM, linux has been an
option for the pre-installed OS.  End-User desktop linux has really matured
over the last few years, it installs easily, supports a lot more hardware
without having to get into anything to technical which if I were an OEM
provider would be a critical decision for me on what OS' to make available.
Not to mention what does the purchasing market want/demand.  Many more people
are non-Windows aware now than they were even 3 years ago and that makes a big
difference.

Re getting a machine with no pre-installed OS,  I've never tried to as a home
user but have been doing so in my work life since 2001 in working for various
helpdesks/IT departments with corporate purchasing accounts.   The few machines
I had custom built at local computer shops it was never a problem to get
without the OS (although it really only lowered the cost of the machine by a
few bucks, I never quite figured out that pricing structure for OEM Windows
XP).  For the Average user I can see not putting a no OS option in various web
based build your computer interfaces - remember the average user just wants to
turn their computer on and have it work, if a company easily offered to the
masses no OS as an option with a "subtract $399" option, the average user
wanting to save $400 would take it, end up calling support, being frustrated
and then mad that it just didn't work.   I am not saying I 100% agree with not
making it an easy option for the average home user but I can see why OEM
vendors would not want to make it easy to do, more work and thus more money
they may potentially have to spend meaning their margin on that machine just
went down.  I doubt it would be easy to do even with a phone call unless they
got a really good phone rep (unlikely) or called the business orders division
where its more common.

I think in today's world and as non-Microsoft OS' start to take more of the
market share, there will be more variety in whats available from big name
computer vendors, I think it is a slow road but there is progress being made.
Once Google releases their OS I think there will be much more of a take off of
OEM support for home users not running Windows.

ML

Mark A. Lappin, CCNA, MCSE:Security | Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry
Director of Information Technology
11314 Cloverland Ave  | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Ph: 225.291.9094 ext 245 | Fax: 225-291-5778  | Mobile:  225-362-2770
www.lmfj.com

This communication is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
this communication .