I disagree with the assumption that a forked project will ultimately fail.
If there is truly a need for a fork, such as a total lack of support for an
Open Source MySQL environment, then I'd predict that a working community
based on that fork will build itself up and be self-sustaining.

Some examples of this are CentOS, which is arguably a fork of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, but has probably a significantly large installed base then
RHEL; TigerCRM, a fork of SugarCRM; and Joomla, a very successful fork of
the Mambo content management system.

"MySQL" is a brand more well-known to the techies and developers than the
PHBs, so I don't think there would be a lot of trouble for people to follow
the forks.