From: general-boun...@brlug.net [mailto:general-boun...@brlug.net] On
Behalf Of Tim Fournet
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 12:15 PM
To: general@brlug.net
Subject: Re: [brlug-general] FW: [LUGOJ] [Fwd: Help save MySQL;Sign the
petition]

I disagree with the assumption that a forked project will ultimately
fail. If there is truly a need for a fork, such as a total lack of
support for an Open Source MySQL environment, then I'd predict that a
working community based on that fork will build itself up and be
self-sustaining.

Some examples of this are CentOS, which is arguably a fork of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, but has probably a significantly large installed base
then RHEL; TigerCRM, a fork of SugarCRM; and Joomla, a very successful
fork of the Mambo content management system.

"MySQL" is a brand more well-known to the techies and developers than
the PHBs, so I don't think there would be a lot of trouble for people to
follow the forks.