I'm running 1.2.3-RELEASE which has been stable with no problems or unexpected
behaviors since it came out in December.  I have it installed at work on an old
400MHz Celeron - WAN, LAN and DMZ plus the Squid package at work.  We're only
on a 1.5Mbps cable connection with a mail, ftp and web server DMZ, plus a few
users on the LAN so it's not very busy - the PfSense graphs suggest the CPU is
about 4-5% busy during the day.

I have another copy running on an ALIX board with Wifi support at home via
PPPoE/DSL - I'd played with several different firewalls early last year and
PfSense has definitely been the easiest to work with so far.  There's a book
about it too so the documentation is better than average.

We don't use IPSEC or VPNs but their forum is pretty active and what I've seen
suggests that your performance levels ought to be no problem with more modern
hardware.

Regards,
Edmund Cramp - e...@motion-labs.com
Motion Lab Systems, Inc. - http://www.motion-labs.com
15045 Old Hammond Highway, Baton Rouge, LA 70816  USA
Tel: 1.225.272.7364 (Central Time Zone, GMT-6)
Fax: 1.225.272.7336