I do not actively use Android devices and I've only played with them some.  I
think you're going to have to bite the bullet and have at least setup a basic
google something account to be able to install apps from the Android market.
If you need paid apps, go buy a Visa or Amex gift card with cash at the 7-11
down the street and set your account up using an alias if you want.

As for the PIM apps:   android native apps vary widely by carrier and there is
no standard client across platforms since default software is left to
individual hardware distributors.   Browse and find apps that are not Google
based; you should be able to find and download and install various browsers,
mail readers and other tools.

If you're absolutely against using Google Play and/or Android market, I don't
really know how you install the apps without actually having the code for the
apps and compiling them and then moving them to your device as a test
environment but I'm sure that there are ways.  You just have to locate the apps
that aren't going to require google (or other services) to sync with.

With some searching you can probably locate ssh, ftp, etc utilities on the
Android market but again, you have to have a delivery mechanism to get them to
your device.  You could in theory build out your own mdm and enterprise app
market but this is probably overkill.  Maybe you can find code for apps on
sourceforge which you can compile and move onto your device without using OTA
app delivery.

As far as configuration, customization, add ons, etc.  Keep in mind that you're
not dealing with full on programs and API sets, even in the Android world (as
opposed to iOS) you don't have the same things that you do in the
desktop/server world.  You're dealing in a world of extremely small task
oriented programs which are not designed to do everything - how programs are
written, and how they are used is a different mindset than the desktop
environment.

You're going to have to get some apps on there regardless; setup a VPN to your
home network, tunnel all data through there for all data out of the device
(maybe a Samsung Safe/Knox enabled phone would have been a better choice?
[don't know, the specifics, just saw some stuff that it had a lot better
containerized security for safe/knox enabled and configured apps]).

Mark A. Lappin, CCNA, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator | Lee Michaels Fine
Jewelry
Director of Information Technology
11314 Cloverland Ave  | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Ph: 225.368.3645 | Fax: 225.368.3675  | Mobile:  225-362-2770
ma...@lmfj.com  |  www.lmfj.com

Like Us on Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/leemichaelsjewelry

Watch the Lee Michaels Story:  http://www.lmfj.com/embed_holder.php

This communication is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
this communication .