Burning them was my first thought too, then I decided that wasn't exactly friendly. ;-)

On 12/8/2013 5:06 PM, Thad Glindneyer wrote:
Bonfires along the Levee is coming up soon. ;)

Thad Glindmeyer
Thad (at) Glindmeyer (dot) net

-------- Original message --------
From: Keith Stokes <ke...@digital-gurus.com>
Date: 12/08/2013  4:44 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: general@brlug.net
Subject: Re: [brlug-general] old tapes
Sing out if you don't find anyone. I can supply several bored teenagers who would love to hit things with a hammer. ;-)

On 12/8/2013 4:27 PM, Mark A. Lappin wrote:
Pretty sensitive data, need to destroy the data on the tapes and
then dispose of the tapes.  Hoping to find a company that can just take care of
it (also have some zip disks, jazz disks, a box of floppies, hard drives with
broken drive heads but again, sensitive data).    I don't have to magnetically
destroy it, but I can't justify my time or the guy who works for me's time
busting everything with a hammer and then taking scissors to the tape; just to
much.
Mark A. Lappin, CCNA, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator | Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry
Director of Information Technology
11314 Cloverland Ave | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Ph: 225.368.3645 | Fax: 225.368.3675
ma...@lmfj.com | www.lmfj.com
Like Us on Facebook

Watch the Lee Michaels Story
This communication is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
this communication .

I can probably put my hands on one of the bulk erasers used for old broadcast tapes. Computer tapes are a lot denser but I've managed to scramble data before. It would probably depend upon how serious you are about destroying.

--
Keith Stokes

Does anybody have a recommendation for a company who can handle destruction of
old backup tapes (and associated data on said tapes).
Mark A. Lappin, CCNA, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator | Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry
Director of Information Technology
11314 Cloverland Ave | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Ph: 225.368.3645 | Fax: 225.368.3675
ma...@lmfj.com | www.lmfj.com
<picture2a75ba>
[...]

ma...@lmfj.com <mailto:ma...@lmfj.com>| www.lmfj.com <http://www.lmfj.com/>