Just to clarify: I could do the unzipping and parsing outside MarkLogic Server,
but I am interested to know how far I can get with just the XQuery extensions..

Similar case: what if you have an HTTP appserver intended to receive XML as
body of the request, and it happens to contain a dtd reference that needs to be
parsed to resolve entities contained in the XML?

The same more or less accounts for encoding that was specified in the xml
declaration, but mismatches the encoding specified in the HTTP appserver. Is it
still being ignored? There are a few ways around that, but an encoding option
for for instance xdmp:unquote or xdmp:tidy would make things easier.

In short, I think I am looking for an xdmp:xml-parse function (or something
like that), that takes stringified xml, options like encoding and dtd path, and
returns the parsed result. Preferably it would not ignore encoding in xml
declaration, and passing in a catalog to resolve dtd paths would be nice as
well. Even better would be adding this behaviour to all existing xml parsing
functions, but that might be more difficult..

Any comments welcome..

Kind regards,
Geert