Oh right, I tried loading xml files with external entity declarations first,
and that fails as well. A search on internet turned up the following message:

http://xqzone.marklogic.com/pipermail/general/2009-April/002716.html

It tells that only local entity declarations are supported. An xdmp:xml-parse
that parses external entities would be great.. :-/

Kind regards,
Geert