Unfortunately, hiding the Size and Date column has no effect on timing.

That gave me a hint, so I looked at the WebDAV app server configuration, and
changed "compute content length" from true to false, then tried again. No
change. Checking the Status panel while the directory was loading, before it
returned all the filenames it showed over 5 million expanded tree cache hits,
95K misses. So for sure the server is doing a lot of processing; I just don't
know why.

One more WebDAV client, Cyberduck, gives the same results.

David