Danny,

So here's what I gathered so far to answer your questions:

 ·         I am confused what version you are on – is it 5.0-4.1 for this
project 4.0? We are currently on MarkLogic V5.0-4.1

·         Is this production or development?  If it is production, you
might consider contacting MarkLogic support. I am using a test bed. We
currently have a test, dev, and a prod environment. We deploy VMs from prod.

·         Do you have a test cluster?  If not, I would make that a priority
so you can try stuff easily. I believe it's what I'm using right now but it
is shared by developers and engineers. Did you mean for me to build one on
my own box?

·         600MB forests sound very large.  The rule-of-thumb for size is
max 200MB, so you are way off here.  But the important number is how many
fragments are in the forests.  You should be able to get that number from
the database status page (show forest info), or from the xdmp:forest-status
function. We have 4 forests (I'll call them F1, F2, F3, F4). Their sizes
are 362MB, 348Mb, 340MB, and 345Mb respectively. Each forest has over
48,000 fragments with their "deleted fragments" ranging from 9500 to
11,100.  Each forest averages 25,000+ documents.

 ·         How big are your VMs? (How much memory) The VMs have 6GB of
memory with 2 CPUs and 5 Hard Disks (60GB for the 1st HD and 610GB for the
remaining 4 HDs with a total of 2,500GB of disk space (2.5TB)

·         How many Range indexes? I counted 50 Range Indexes and 6 Range
Attribute Indexes.

·         How is your I/O rate on the system?  Ideally, it should be
capable of roughly 20Mb/sec per forest. I was told 200Mb/sec...I haven't
verified this. Where can I verify this number? Under the Database status
page?

·         As far as the logs, you can turn off log uncaught errors on the
App Server doing the loads (although you might need that info).  The more
interesting question is why the loads are throwing errors. All the "log
uncaught errors" are turned ON on ALL http servers. will I be able to still
see and diagnose what errors I have if I turn this to "false"? I'm still
looking into why the loads are failing.

·         How many nodes in this cluster? Without much info, my guess is
that finding some decent disk is a high priority. That should give you a
few things to scratch your head over. I believe there's only one node and
it is not coupled. Is there a way to check how many nodes there are?