From: general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com
[mailto:general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com] On Behalf Of Bob O
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:39 AM
To: General@developer.marklogic.com
Subject: [MarkLogic Dev General] ML Project Issues

Hello Everyone,

I am taking over a new project that I would consider large scale. I was hired
as a ML DBA but I am really fairly new at MarkLogic. We were using ML4.0 and
this project they are using ML v5.0-4.1 and they deploy the product on VMs.

They are running into a bunch of issues and I feel overwhelmed by it. I have
seen some of it before but some of the issues are these:
1) logging issue: everytime their ingestions errors out, it logs off everything
about it which amounts to about 2Mb everytime it happens. This happens quite
often and they are getting tons of logs for a short period of time. Is there a
way to minimize what the logs should spit out and cut down the extra
unnecessaryinformation?

2) ingestion is slow: this could be anything that's causing the ingesstion to
be so slow. Where should I look for the casue? I have contacted the SW
Developer on the ingestion process and still waiting for his response. I am
told that they are using an inhouse app called DDMS that I am not familiar with.

3) forest space: how do I check if there forest space is enough. They have 4
forests and are around 600GB a piece. Is there a formula to properly figure out
the space allocation for each forest and to plan for future use?

4) performance issues: they are experiencing some latency issues, CPU-IO
scheduler, and they're fixing to buy NAS servers for their storage management.

I apologize for dropping all of these issues at once but I figure there are
more brains out there than this one. I feel I hae taken a much bigger task and
role thatn I could handle. I appreciate any assistance or direction anyone can
give.

--BobO