From: general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com
[mailto:general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Hamlin
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2015 4:41 AM
To: MarkLogic Developer Discussion
Subject: Re: [MarkLogic Dev General] Fragment root configuration

Hi,

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention a compressed binary
document to speed up search.  MarkLogic does store XML internally in a
compressed binary format anyway.  MarkLogic documentation on fragmentation is
here:

https://docs.marklogic.com/guide/admin/fragments

Fragmentation is not something that just speeds up queries.  Its use depends a
lot on your document structure and querying.  Many people don't use it at all.

Documentation on performance tuning in general can be found here:

https://docs.marklogic.com/guide/performance
https://help.marklogic.com/knowledgebase/article/View/48/17/how-do-i-read-and-interpret-qconsole-profile-output

But you should also consider that the setup of your system is important.
Forests can be queried in parallel, so placing more forests on a multi-core
server can help with concurrency.  Having all data in a single forest on a
single node will reduce concurrency and hurt query performance.

/ch