The general rule of fragmentation is "Don't use fragmentation". It is a very
sharp tool for a very specific use case, where you have large logical sections,
like chapters, under a parent document. What we've found generally is that
taking the time to model and split aggregated "fragments" into explicit
documents is a better approach 9.9 times out of 10.

Can you say a little more about what you're trying to accomplish? What do your
queries look like?

Justin