> Now realize that I am *NOT* proposing Anakia.  What I am proposing is
> that the ability to view a site as it is being produced is a very
> valuable thing to have, and an important consideration both for a
> machine which is a shared resource and for any hope of there ever being
> personal usage of gump.

Sam, you seem to care more about timeliness of content than tooling, and I
can respect that & I think it can be accomodated w/o ruling out forrest. For
example, what is wrong with writting HTML and/or XDOCS (whatever) as things
go along? If we wrote xdocs to a webapp the cocoon/forrest webapp could
detect the file change and rerender. I see nothing about timeliness that
dictates format.

BTW: We could do this today with gump.document.forrest -- calling the
documentProject and documentModule methods with context. Not much in this
code (other than stats/xref) cares when you call it. I'm not neccessarily
proposing that, just stating we aren't so far off.

> Beyond that, I would like to reiterate the point that there is value in
> keeping true to the original design where Gump bootstraps its own
> dependencies.

You are preaching to the choir. We've agonized over installing a Maven drop
to build Maven projects. Unfortunately, we can't rely solely upon a (higher
dependency) Gumped application for output, 'cos they (e.g Maven and
Forrest/Cocoon) build so infrequently. [Good intentions can't force
consistent builds.] The case of Maven is more persuasive than a
documentation tool (of which we could pick) because communities have picked
Maven.

I'd love to developer a solution where we use the Gumped solution (if
available) but fallback to a packaged/installed solution when not.

regards,