> I see from http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/
>
> Elapsed Time :  1 hour 56 mins 20 secs

I have to agree, I was very impressed with speed. For some reason a little
less was built than on LSD, see these, but still -- it is very fast.

    http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/#Project+Summary
    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/ndex.html#Project+Summary

> Putting it mildly, this doesn't look half bad.  I presume that this
> includes the time of cvs/svn checkouts?

Yup, and the metadata load.

> Are the logs of the cvs/svn
> checkouts captured?  This sometimes is helpful when trying to track down
> why a build that worked yesterday failed today.

Yup, look at the documentation for each module. Basically we use -q, so if
there is no output there was no change/update. [FWIIW: The 'last updated'
date is calculated using that fact. A tad dodgy, but...]

e.g

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/checkstyle/index.html#Module-level+Work
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/checkstyle/gump_work/update_checkstyle.html

> Note that this is only with one CPU and less than one gig of RAM.

:-)

> Looking at the build times, it looks to me like gump 2.0 tries to do
> parallel builds whenever possible?

I would love to take credit for such smarts, but I don't think so. Gump 2.0
is (todate) completely single threaded. Do we have a timestamp issue I've
not picked up on? Sometime with so much Gump output I don't see the wood for
the trees (Forest pun intended ;-).

> And finally, a nit: I see useful information like the name of the java
> command ("java") and the Operating System ("posix"), but I don't see the
> values of System.getProperties which contains values such as:
>
>         java.vm.version=1.4.2_04-b05
>         java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
>         os.arch=i386
>         os.name=Linux

Hmm. No, not directly. If a project repeatedly fails Gump automatically
turns on ant verbose and/or debug, and maybe this show those values. Is
there a way to list these things (above) without writing some Java?

Tangentially related ... When Gump runs (as an agent) it checks it's
environment (e.g. runs 'env', runs 'java --version', etc.) and captures
results. This used to be code (incorrectly) located on the Workspace class,
but I moved it to a separate Environment class. Only today have I restored
that to the documentation, so watch that space.

regards